If the Lord delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand…. The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand (Psalm 37:23-24 NIV, NKJV).
I have never had a good sense of balance. Years ago, I fell off my bicycle and broke my foot. Even after all this time, it is weak and because of that, I am very careful. I don’t want to fall again. I try to watch where I’m going and I walk carefully – especially when the ground is uneven. It helps when I have something to hold onto – my husband’s hand, walking sticks, etc. Maybe that is the reason I have noticed the numerous times God has reminded me that He is near and will lift me up spiritually when I need it.
- You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn….You enlarged my path under me, so my feet did not slip (Psalm 18:36 NIV, NKJV)
- For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life….For You have delivered my soul from death. Have You not kept my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living? (Psalm 56:13 NIV, NKJV)
- Praise our God, O peoples, let the sound of his praise be heard; he has preserved our lives and kept our feet from slipping (Psalm 66:9 NIV)
- When I said, “My foot is slipping,” your love, O Lord, supported me….If I say, “My foot slips,” Your mercy, O Lord, will hold me up (Psalm 94:18 NIV, NKJV)
- He will not let your foot slip – he who watches over you will not slumber (Psalm 121:3 NIV)
- The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made. The Lord upholds all those who fall and lifts up all who are bowed down (Psalm 145:13b,14 NIV)
- and many more…
We are human and subject to stumbling and even falling, but the promise of our Lord is that because He never leaves us or forsakes us, we can count on His uplifting hand to get us back on the path He has chosen for us.